Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Hunger Games

I picked this book up reluctantly as the entire trilogy because of all of the "hype", which I normally don't do.  After reading "Bone Season", and finding it so utterly hard to follow that I didn't even finish it and with no regrets, I was afraid that I would find myself in the same predicament.

Pleasantly surprised, I have finished the first of the trilogy and am thrilled to say that I could actually see the characters, empathize with all of them, and dive head first into a surreal world where humanity has lost itself.  The main character, Katniss, named after a root that she and her father had found foraging, becomes an absolute heroine.  The book is ghastly much of the time, but defines human nature down to its bare reality - survival.  And not just of the fittest - survival for the heroine and for those she loved.  

The "Games", which are an annual reminder of the Capitol to all inhabitants of this land that no uprising will be tolerated and that they, without emotion or respect for human life, are at all times in control.  She is able to outwit the "Gamekeepers" at the end, which quickly led me to begin the second in the series.  I am already captivated and will keep reading. 

The author was incredibly creative and wrote the story in a way that it was believable, yet surreal at the same time. The scenes are uniquely and creatively written, from the elaborate costumes of the contenders to the gutteral sounds that dying people are making.   You find yourself actually wondering what you would do and how.  

Not a huge fan of futuristic, horrific pictures of what is to come, I still found this book to be a 
definite page turner.

Five out of Five for me:)

No comments:

Post a Comment